1. I swear by the Day of Resurrection;
And I swear by the self-reproaching person (a believer).
3. Does man (a disbeliever) think that We shall not assemble his
4. Yes, We are Able to put together
in perfect order the tips of his fingers.
Nay! (Man denies Resurrection and Reckoning. So) he desires to
continue committing sins.
6. He asks:
"When will be this Day of Resurrection?"
So, when the sight shall be dazed,
the moon will be eclipsed,
9. And the sun
and moon will be joined together (by going one into the other or
folded up or deprived of their light, etc.)
10. On that Day man will say: "Where (is the refuge) to flee?"
11. No! There is no refuge!
your Lord (Alone) will be the place of rest that Day.
13. On that Day man will be informed of what he sent forward (of
his evil or good deeds), and what he left behind (of his good or evil
14. Nay! Man will be a
witness against himself [as his body parts (skin, hands, legs, etc.)
will speak about his deeds].
he may put forth his excuses (to cover his evil deeds).
16. Move not your tongue concerning (the Qur'an, O Muhammad )
to make haste therewith.
17. It is for Us
to collect it and to give you (O Muhammad )
the ability to recite it (the Qur'an),
And when We have recited it to you [O Muhammad
through Jibrael (Gabriel)], then follow you its (the Qur'an's)
19. Then it is for Us (Allah) to
make it clear to you,
20. Not [as you
think, that you (mankind) will not be resurrected and recompensed for
your deeds], but (you men) love the present life of this world,
21. And leave (neglect) the Hereafter.
22. Some faces that Day shall be Nadirah (shining and
23. Looking at their Lord
24. And some faces, that Day,
will be Basirah (dark, gloomy, frowning, and sad),
25. Thinking that some calamity was about to fall on them;
26. Nay, when (the soul) reaches to the collar bone (i.e. up to
the throat in its exit),
27. And it will
be said: "Who can cure him and save him from death?"
28. And he (the dying person) will conclude that it was (the
time) of departing (death);
29. And leg
will be joined with another leg (shrouded)
30. The drive will be, on that Day, to your Lord (Allah)!
31. So he (the disbeliever) neither believed (in this Qur'an, in
the Message of Muhammad )
32. But on the contrary, he
belied (this Qur'an and the Message of Muhammad )
and turned away!
33. Then he walked in
full pride to his family admiring himself!
34. Woe to you [O man (disbeliever)]! And then (again) woe to
35. Again, woe to you [O man
(disbeliever)]! And then (again) woe to you!
36. Does man think that he will be left Suda [neglected
without being punished or rewarded for the obligatory duties enjoined
by his Lord (Allah) on him]?
37. Was he
not a Nutfah (mixed male and female discharge of semen) poured
38. Then he became an 'Alaqa
(a clot); then (Allah) shaped and fashioned (him) in due proportion.
39. And made him in two sexes, male and female.
40. Is not He (Allah Who does that), Able to give life to the
dead? (Yes! He is Able to do all things).